A blog focusing on the trials of mental illness, recovery and the arts.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Neverending

There's a stretch of marshland near my house Danny and I refer to as the Swamp of Sadness. It really looks like it could swallow you whole if you were to walk unhappily through it.
This has me reflecting on The Neverending Story, one of the best movies ever, and how the swamp of sadness scene really hits home.
A couple years ago I wouldv'e been Artax. Slowly sinking as the muck rose around me. Depressed and hopeless with no future in sight. I almost sank. I got damn near close. I'd say ears deep in muds of misery.
Then there was Danny. And family. They were like Atreyu, pulling and screaming at me as I sank further, wishing me out of the sadness. In the movie, Artax inevitably sinks and succumbs to the swamps. I, on the other hand, pushed through the depths of the sadness and failed to sink regardless of how much I may have yearned for sinking.
Today, I still live in the Swamp of Sadness. Though I failed to be swallowed, I still remain there.
Now, I am Morla. Wisest in all of Fantasia. Sitting silently with myself in the Swamp of Sadness, not caring much about anything. In the movie Morla has some lines I can relate all to closely with:
'We don't care whether or not we care'
 'Die? Now that at least would be something.'

So there's that, my life retold as the Neverending Story. Where once I was the brave and then fallen Artax, now I am the wise and uncaring Morla, wasting my days away in the muck of the swamp of sadness.


No comments:

Post a Comment